06 February 2010

Thoughts on hair

Have you ever noticed that women in the old days seemed to put a lot of effort into making their hair look nice? (by old days, I mean the 19th c. to early 20th c.) For example, look at this lovely lady:

(wordpress.com)

I know that we females have much busier schedules nowadays than the typical woman did back then -- I hardly devote five minutes to my hair each day. Now, I suppose this isn't true of many American women, who dutifully blow and spray and flat-iron their hearts out every morning, but I would be willing to bet that at least 50% of ladies these days are just like me in this area. In fact, it's in style to have a somewhat "messy" look.

Either way, it is still interesting to note the importance these vintage ladies seemed to place on their tresses. Even the little girls had rags put in every night before bed.

(theladiesparlor.com)

I once read that Shirley Temple's mother put 56 perfect curls in her daughter's hair every day.

(thegoldenyears.org)

Anyway, I guess the point of this post thus far has been more for interest than reform. I personally think spending hours to put 56 ringlets on your head is a ridiculous waste of time. (unless, of course, you happen to be an actress) Nevertheless, I've been convinced that devoting time and effort to femininity is a good thing. So where is the balance between obsession and neglect?

Well, I tried looking up some ideas and thinking about what I've done in the past, back when I actually took time on my hair. Here's what I came up with:
(comments for each are based partly on experience, partly on theory)

Braids:

(totalbeauty.com)

Yes, I know that looks really difficult, but I've done a similar style before and it took me about 15-20 min. The time involved in braiding really depends on your personal skill level (if you've braided so much you could do it in your sleep or are just learning), and the particular style you're going for. Simple braid styles can take as little as five minutes!!!

Buns:


A simple bun can be both fancy and every-day. Definitely a versatile option. This is also a pretty quick style-- very little fuss and, if done right, can be very comfortable. Buns are also great for adding little things like combs, decorative hairpins, flowers, etc.. just stick 'em in! Now, about those darling little curls around her face... I'm pretty sure those were photoshopped in. ;)

Hats and snoods:

(plainsimpleinformation.com)

I don't actually own a snood (I want one, and am currently attempting to understand this pattern) but I've seen "modern people" wear something very similar, so I don't think they should be thought of as costume-wear or too old-fashioned. At any rate, this one will be an experiment for me! As for hats, I want to get a few more, especially fabric ones like berets, etc.

Clips, pins, combs, etc:

Surprisingly enough, I couldn't find any good pictures for this one. These all work splendidly for the really simple styles-- as in, a minute or two required! If you simply like how your hair looks down, but want to add a little "something", these accessories are perfect.

Headbands and ribbons add a lovely touch to practically any style.

Well, friends, I believe I've come to the end of my post. Again, please note that this is all just for interest, not a challenge to reform your hairstyling ways. I definitely enjoyed looking into the subject, and hope you enjoyed reading! :)

4 comments:

  1. ......well I spend like....15-20 min on my hair. it turns out ok ish i supose. one of my older teachers told me one time about how she used to go to bed with her hair pinned so it would be in curls when she got up. I was like ow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do they get their hair to look gently swept up and not skin tight to their head? If I pull mine up, it has to be tight or it starts to fall out after 5 minutes. Also, how come there aren't little pieces all sticking out like when I do mine? If I try to hair spray them down it either looks like a hard helmet or greasy. I've always worn my hair straight down, cuz I don't know how to do otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the hairstyle with the braids on the side; it's so pretty and feminine. I typically don't spend much time on my hair because I can never get it to look the way I want it to, but I used to braid it often and it was easy because I was in the habit of doing it. Guess I should start practicing again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The braid hairstyle is definitely my fave. I try to do something like this when my hair is curly and my bangs unruly. But my braiding experience is sooo slim, and it turns out messy...but I wear it anyway, lol. When my hair is straight I tend to not do a lot with it (especially since I'd already spent 30 or so minutes blow drying and straightening it). But my curly mane forces me to be creative. Today I twisted and knotted all of my hair and pinned it onto my head. Kind of a pixie look. AND it keeps my hair out of my face. Double plus!! :)

    ReplyDelete